Seahawks finish 9th at Midwest Regionals Meet
The Seahawks swam great at the big Midwest Regional swim meet held in Minneapolis, MN over the weekend (4/8-4/3) finishing in the top 10 for the first time! South DM Swimming earned 836 points and finished 9th of 76 registered teams from nine states (a meet record). That’s 283 points (and 4 places) better than SDMS’s 2015 finish!
Plus, 25 SDMS team records were broken at the meet this weekend! Check out the full list of team records to see which were broken.
Local Team Comparison
Over the last few seasons, more and more local swim clubs from Des Moines have started attending Midwest Regionals too. Here’s how the Seahawks compared to other Des Moines metro teams.
South DM Swimming (SDMS): 836 points
East Swim Team: 471 points
Northside Otters (NSST): 229 points
Rams Swim Club: 134 points
Below are a few general team highlights from the meet:
- 22 Top 6 finishes (with 38 Top 10 finishes total)
- 108.57 seconds were dropped at the meet
- 19 individuals scored points (not counting relays), up from 8 individual scorers in 2015
- Two relays took first place overall (a team first for Midwest Regionals)
With such great swims both days, we can’t recognize everyone Here’s just a few highlights:
- Ellie Dueland placed 11th overall in the 8 & Under 25 Breaststroke with a 23.43
- Keegan Kraft earned 5th in the 8 & Under 25 Breaststroke with a 22.42 (-.59 of a second) and 10th place in the 50 Breaststroke with a 51.75 (-1.80 seconds).
- Tori Dudley’s swam a 35.72 in the 9-10 50 Back (-2.89 second) and took 5th place overall
- Will Chase finished 6th place overall in 9-10 100 Breaststroke with a 1:31.85 and 9th overall in the 50 Free with a 30.68 (-.34 of a second)
- Catherine Dooley took 14th overall in her 13-14 100 Breaststroke and dropped to a 1:15.55 (-2.20 seconds)
- Shaun Slycord swam his 131-4 100 Free in 57.73 (-.99 of a second)
- Torin Lackmann took 8th place overall in her 11-12 100 Breaststroke with her new best time, 1:15.50.
- Aubrey Douds’ 11-12 100 Free time of 1:00.32 (-1.91 seconds) earned her 10th place overall
- Javier Santiago dropped time in all four of his events and took first on the SDMS team with a individual point total of 53 points!
- Bri Neifert swam the 11-12 100 Back in 1:14.59 (-2.47 seconds)
You can view the full meet results to see all of the great swims by the Seahawks. You can also see the final team scores.
View just a few photos from the meet below.