The Seahawks swam well at the big Midwest Regional swim meet held in Minneapolis, MN over the weekend (3/25-3/26) finishing in the 12th of 72 teams from nine states. South DM Swimming earned 725 points with an almost 50/50 split between boys/girls points earned.
“This Midwest Regional meet requires swimmers to hit a qualifying time for their age, gender and event in order to participate at the meet,” said Coach Brayton Weber. “Since the times are tiered, swimmers of all ages have the chance to set a goal and accomplish it. It also makes it a big accomplishment to compete here at the University of Minnesota.”
Local Team Comparison
Over the last few seasons, more and more local swim clubs from Des Moines have started attending Midwest Regionals too. Here’s how the Seahawks compared to other Des Moines metro teams.
South DM Swimming (SDMS): 725 points | 12th
East Swim Team: 409 points | 22nd
Northside Otters (NSST): 272.5 points | 26th
Wellmark YMCA Swim Team: 181 points | 35th
Rams Swim Club: 35 points | 55th
Below are a few general team highlights from the meet:
- 18 Top 6 finishes (with 28 Top 10 finishes total)
- 15 individuals scored points (not counting relays)
- 27 team records were broken!
- One relay took 1st overall, two others took third overall!
With such great swims both days, we can’t recognize everyone Here’s just a few highlights:
- Will Bennett swam a 23.76 in the 200 Free Relay (first time under 24 seconds). He also was under 2:00 in the 200 free for first time (1:59.81)!
- Mallory Albright’s 11-12 Girls 50 Free time was sub :30 for the first time (29.26)!
- Shaun Slycord swam two personal bests – 1:12.33 (100 Breaststroke) and 53.76 (100 Free)!
- Hannah Groos’s 11-12 Girls 100 Back time was a personal best (1:08.19), sub 1:09 for the first time!
- Henry Groos dropping 10 seconds in his 200 Free with a 2:40.52.
- Aubrey Douds set 5 new SDMS team records! She also took 2nd overall in the 200 Free (2:04.94) and swam a fast a :28.66 in 50 Fly!
- 9-10 Girls Relay (Samantha Douds, Emma Sizemore, Paola Santiago, Olivia Feuling) took 3rd overall in both the 200 Free relay and 200 Medley relay!
- Lauren Benson swam two personal best times – 1:05.61 (100 Fly) and 1:00.51 (100 Free)!
- Thomas McPhee dropping 4 seconds in the 100 fly and finishing 4th overall with a 1:02.34!
- Anika Snow breaking went Sub :60 in the 100 Free for the first time (59.81)! She also anchored the 5th place 13-14 girls 200 Medley Relay with a split of 25.84!
Here’s a few photos from the meet! Thank you to the parents who shared these with us!