The winter season for the South Des Moines Swimming (SDMS) ended with the Championship Meet last night (2/23). The Seahawks were out to show how much they had a improved since first jumping in the water in October 2014.
And they did just that! Overall, the team overall saw approximately 90% time drops, which means new personal bests for a majority of the team!
There are a ton of awesome swims at the meet. While we can’t recognize everyone, here are just a few meet highlights.
- Paola Santiago swam the 8 & Under 25 Free in 15.98!
- Will Chase took first in the 50 Free for 9-10 Boys with a time of 33.67
- Ella Worth dropped over 6 seconds in the 13 & Older Girls 200 IM and took third
- Charlie Berdovich took first in the 8 & Under 25 Back and dropped over 2 seconds
- Aubrie Robel dropped over 2 seconds in the 13 & Over Girls 100 Back and swam 1:15.94
- Javier Santiago swam the 13 & Over Boys 200 Free in 2:09.64! He also qualified for Midwest Regionals!
- Lauren Benson dropped almost a second in the 11-12 Girls 50 Fly to a time of 35.21
- Ane Skartvedt swam a 1:17.75 in the 13 & Over Girls 100 Breaststroke
Don’t forget, you can always check out the full meet results.
With 15 new records set, there are too many records broken to list them all! But below are the overall records broken by age-group:
- Two 8 & Under records
- Six 11-12 records
- Five 13-14 records
- Two 15 & Up records
You can view the updated team records to see all the details. Just a reminder, the records are age-specific. For example: Once your child turns 11, they are now aiming for the 11-12 age-group records, even if they’ll still swim in the 9-10 age bracket at other meets (like Midwest Regionals).
What a great way to end the season! It’s exciting to see the future of Southside swimming!
Up Next: Annual registration opens on this Sunday, March 1st! Seasonal registration will open two weeks later on March 15th. You can register at http://www.southdmswimming.bigcartel.com. Just a reminder, the SDMS team is exclusive to families who live on the Southside of Des Moines, Norwalk or Carlisle.